Yesterday we received a number of community concerns regarding student behavior at two of our bus stops. Unfortunately, these types of complaints are not uncommon.
I personally drove to two bus stops this morning to observe student behavior. During my time at the stop I noticed a couple of things that I feel are important to share with all parents of students that utilize CCSD transportation to and from school.
- If you are available, please consider escorting your son/daughter to the bus stop. Adult supervision often curtains negative student behavior, especially when thirty plus middle schools students are unsupervised at one stop.
- Personal and public property, including landscaping, decorative rocks, and trees, should not be damaged by students waiting for the bus. These are expensive to replace and should not be touched by students waiting for the bus.
- It is not appropriate to disrupt traffic. Students should never sit in the street or jump in front of cars. Safety is our first priority, but it also needs to be the priority of our students.
- Throwing rocks is dangerous and unacceptable behavior for middle school students.
- Students that are not able to appropriately behave at the bus stop may jeopardize their access to CCSD transportation.
If you have concerns with CCSD Transportation, please call 702-799-8100. You may also reach out to us here at Mannion as we will do our best to assist you with your concern.
I appreciate your partnership and support to make sure that our students are safe when waiting for the bus.
Todd C. Petersen, Principal
Comments are closed.