The Mannion Middle School counseling department functions as a responsive, supportive unit in providing direct services to children, parents, and teachers. The counselors take an active role in the academic, emotional, and social development of our students. The primary role of our counselors is to help build a foundation for learning by assisting students to develop self-respect, awareness of others, and positive attitudes toward acquiring knowledge. Our fundamental goal is to help students acquire skills, which will help them through life. Middle school counselors are not to serve as therapists. If situations arise where these services are needed, parents must seek services independent of the school, as school counselors do not make private referrals.
Students may see their counselor for any reason. If a student feels a need for someone to listen to a concern, the counselor will give the child the attention he/she needs, and will help in arriving at an acceptable solution to the problem.
Some of the reasons for students to see the counselor include the following:
- Adjustment to School Problems
- Conflicts with Peers
- Conflicts with School Personnel
- Family Problems
- Learning or Study Difficulties
- Loss and Grief
- Substance Abuse
Mannion Middle School strongly urges parents to call the counseling office and let us know when their children are in need of counseling services.
In the spring of each semester, students are recommended by their teachers for classes the following year. Teachers use performance data to determine a student’s placement, and will communicate to parent if they recommend that a student is to be moved out of an accelerated class or into an accelerated class. Students also have the opportunity to select an elective. A variety of electives are available depending on a student’s grade.
This information can be found in the Course Catalogs available below and questions regarding course selection and teacher recommendations, as well as the process to challenge a recommendation, should be directed to the appropriate grade level counselor.
Class & Schedule Changes
Students are often concerned about their schedule of classes. The most frequent request that counselors hear from students is that their schedule needs to be changed. Changes will be made for the following reasons:
- Student is misplaced in a leveled class
- Student is unable to acquire a musical instrument, and needs to change out of music elective
- Schedules are changed to balance numbers in classes due to increased or decreased enrollment
We do not make changes because of:
- Conflicts with teachers or other students
- Student would rather have a different lunch
- Student would rather be in another class with special friends
To challenge a course placement, please download the Course Challenge Request using the button below and submit it to the appropriate counselor and/or administrator.Course Challenge Request
Career & Technical Academies / Magnet Schools
CCSD provides students entering 9th grade with an opportunity to apply for enrollment at either a comprehensive High School, such as Foothill HS, or on of the Career & Technical Academies or Magnet Schools. For more information regarding these programs, see the flyer by clicking the button below.Learn More
Social Worker/Mental Health Professional
The social worker/mental health professional will provide support to students, staff, parents, and community members at Mannion Middle School.
- Assisting students in understanding and accepting self and others
- Developing intervention strategies to increase academic success
- Helping students develop appropriate social interaction skills
- Provide crisis intervention
- Teach conflict resolution and anger management.
- Alleviating family stress to enable their child to function more effectively in school and community
- Assisting parents in accessing and utilizing school and community resources.
Alternative Educational Opportunities
A variety of educational opportunities exist for the young adult who chooses not to pursue a high school diploma through traditional means, may be credit-deficient, or may have been removed due to behavior. Please refer to the following information regarding these choices.
Summer School Options
There are two CCSD options for students to earn credits toward promotion to the next grade or to alleviate some high school requirements. Students can take Summer School through Nevada Learning Academy or on a CCSD High School Campus.