Many of you are making final preparations for tomorrow’s first day of school, and I am excited to report that the staff at Mannion is ready to welcome our Mustangs home! To alleviate concerns for tomorrow, I must share a few reminders about our school and what must be done to keep our students and staff in school and all of our family members safe:
- Mannion Middle School is required to enforce the mask mandate. All students and staff are required to wear face masks indoors, unless medical or developmental conditions prohibit use. This includes all District busses. During lunch, students may remove the mask when eating and drinking. To be consistent, Masks must be worn so they cover the face from the bridge of the nose to snugly under the chin. Face coverings with exhalation vents, those that are open at the top or bottom (such as bandana or clear plastic face shields without an approved face covering underneath), or those that do not cover the face from the bridge of the nose to under the chin may not be worn. If a student forgets his or her mask, or does not have the proper mask, one will be provided as he or she enters the campus.
- If your student is experiencing any of these conditions, please DO NOT send your student to school:
- Close contact with someone who has a laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis in the past 10 days.
- Tested positive for Covid-19 in the past 10 days.
- In addition, do not send your student to school if he or she is experiencing these symptoms:
- New or worsening cough
- New or worsening shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- New loss of taste or smell
- New or worsening headache
- Sore throat
- Muscle Pain
- Excessive fatigue
- New nasal congestion or runny nose
- Additional Information is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-3MRPdRqh9zbP3W8Vrio8lVJsCoT8mSw/view?usp=sharing
- Students who did not receive a copy of their schedule last week should report to the library when they arrive on campus. These students will receive their schedule and will have a pass to enter the hallway early and try their new locker (Student schedules will also be available to view in the Parent Portal tomorrow morning.). Student WEB leaders from 8th grade, along with classroom teachers, are available to assist all students who are not familiar with our campus.
- If your student did not receive a CCSD ChromeBook, please print this paperwork, sign it, and have your student bring it to school tomorrow. During the first three periods of the day, students with the completed paperwork will receive their CCSD ChromeBook. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wq91nqNhIY-iRGZ9cq4pEZmOqzPuvBST/view?usp=sharing
- Develop a system for charging the ChromeBook each night and placing it in the student backpack before he or she leaves home for school.
- To verify CCSD transportation information, please use this site. Keep in mind, busses may run late the first few days: https://transportation.ccsd.net/student/session/21_22
- If your student is utilizing a bike, skateboard, or scooter, please remind them to utilize the bike rack area in front of the school. Students should bring a lock to secure their equipment and as always, travel safely with proper safety equipment.
- Students being driven to school may be dropped off along Paradise Hills Drive or along the front driveway of the school. Keep in mind that on campus parents may not stop parallel to the orange cones. Also, to assist with traffic and ensure student safety, we ask that drivers pull all the way forward (past the front doors is always easier) and park parallel to the curb before letting a student exit the vehicle. The back parking lot is reserved for busses, and parent vehicles will not be provided access to the park parking lot.
- ChromeBooks will not be permitted in the cafeteria, and should be left in the student locker during lunch (students with a locker issue will be exempt until the locker issue is resolved). Also, students knowing their student ID number will assist with students ordering hot lunch. For students who miss the taste of Takis, the student store will be open for students wishing to purchase snack items ($1). Finally, while students will be required to eat in the cafeteria, students will be allowed to exit the cafeteria and enjoy the fresh air of the quad as soon as they finish eating. We ask that students raise their hand so adults can verify their area is clean prior to receiving permission to exit the cafeteria.
- I realize there are many more questions, so our Monthly Parent Community Partnership Meeting will take place on Thursday, August 12, 2021. We will meet in the Mannion Theatre at 5:30 PM (park in the front of the school) and masks and social distancing will be required for all those in attendance.
- The $35 Yearbook price ends at midnight tonight. If you want to purchase a 21-22 Yearbook for the Back to School Bargain Price, please click here: https://mannionmiddleschool.com/yearbook/ (The price raises to $40 at midnight).
On a personal note, I want to thank this community for their support. Over the past week, what I have experienced is a community of parents willing to make whatever sacrifice is necessary to have our students and teachers where they belong – back in the building. There is a lot of work that needs to be done, but I am confident in our teacher’s ability to make up for lost time and equally confident in our student’s ability to redevelop their learning habits. The best days of Mannion Middle School are ahead of us!
Todd C. Petersen