Dear Families of Jack & Terry Mannion Middle School,
The safety of our students is the number one priority at Mannion Middle School. As always, we want to keep you informed of important issues happening within our school community. We learned that on Tuesday, April 17, a Mannion student reported being approached by an older model light blue van with a work ladder mounted on top of it while walking from Mannion Middle School to Walker Elementary School. This took place at the corner of Scholar and San Gabriel. The student indicated that the man in the van did have a weapon. Law enforcement is aware of the incident and is currently investigating.
Anyone with information that may be helpful to the investigation of this incident is encouraged to contact the Henderson Police Department at 702-267-5000 option #1, CCSD Police Department at 702- 799-5411, or Crime Stoppers at 702-385-5555.
This incident serves as an important opportunity to remind our students of safe practices when walking to and from school. The following are reminders that will help you discuss safety with your child.
- Walk in groups to and from school.
- Never take rides from strangers.
- If you are approached by a stranger, keep a safe distance and think of a direction to run if needed.
- Shout and yell as loud as you can.
- Never give out your name or address to people you do not know. This is especially true on the Internet.
- Run to a safe place, i.e., school, church, store, etc.
- Always let your parents or guardians know where you are. Take the same route to school every day.
- Be sure you know your parents’ full names, addresses, and phone numbers.
- If possible, get a license plate number.
The safety of our students is of the utmost importance. Please report any suspicious activity to the local police department and/or school administrators.
Thank you for your assistance. Please do not hesitate to call our office at 702-799-3020 should you have any questions or concerns.
Todd C. Petersen
Mannion Middle School
A PDF version of this letter can be downloaded by CLICKING HERE.
Comments are closed.