Welcome to the second week of school. It is time for the learning to begin!
This week teachers will share with their students their academic expectations for the 21-22 school year. Through “Course Expectations” students will begin to understand what they will learn this year and how they will be assessed. CCSD’s new Grading Reform Guidelines will bring changes from previous years, so I encourage parents to also review the Course Expectations to support students. Course Expectations can be found on each teacher’s Canvas Home page. As a reminder, all parents are able to create a Pairing Code to receive notifications on your student’s progress in Canvas. Here are two helpful documents:
Remember, Canvas will still be used as CCSD’s Learning Management System to document the submission of assignments and assessments. By creating a parent account, parents will know when the student turned in an assignment.
In addition to academic expectations, this week all students will receive the “Student Success Presentation” where we will review the guidelines for school and classroom behavior, dress code, tardies, attendance, and other campus-wide procedures. A copy of this presentation will soon be available on our school’s website under “Student Success Office” and I also encourage parents to review it with your student.
Please join us this Thursday, August 19, at 6 PM for our annual Open House. Unfortunately, due to Covid and to ensure the health and safety of our community, Open House will be virtual. Teachers will provide parents with links to join their Open House Presentation. Parents are encouraged to utilize this schedule and copy and paste the individual teacher links in this document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18TYU5SIgRcgAcEjgF3ORkmVNHSNVn6B8o_IFEP3deBs/copy (This will force you to make a copy)
We realize you may continue to have questions, so here is a helpful checklist for all parents to use prior to the start of the second week of school:
SITUATION: Does your student have a working locker?
- If the answer is NO, please do this: Please contact Stacia Austin at AustiSM@nv.ccsd.net or call 702-799-3020, ext. 4500
- If the answer is YES, please do this: Great! Encourage your student to memorize the combination and NEVER give the combination to anyone
SITUATION: Does your student ride a bike, skateboard, or scooter to school?
- If the answer is NO, please do this: No additional information is required
- If the answer is YES, please do this: Please complete this form to register the bike, scooter, or skateboard: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRss9Ppy7wtZOYjCjZelKxyyzpu8L7KpQoypsKIGzt70ZW5Q/viewform
SITUATION: Does your student have a working ChromeBook and is the student able to log in?
- If the answer is NO, please do this: Please contact Ryan Hodge at Hodger@nv.ccsd.net or call 702-799-3020, ext. 4015
- If the answer is YES, please do this: Please develop a system at home so the ChromeBook can be charged each night and safely brought to school each day
SITUATION: Does your student have PE on his or her schedule?
- If the answer is NO, please do this: You do not need to purchase a PE Uniform at this time (second semester PE).
- If the answer is YES, please do this: Students can purchase a uniform for $20 (cash only) during class or on the school’s webstore (credit card): https://webstores.activenetwork.com/school-software/mannion_middle_schoo/index.php?l=product_list&c=bestsellers
SITUATION: Does your student have band, choir, orchestra or art on his or her schedule?
- If the answer is NO, please do this: If your student is not in the course he or she does not pay the course fee.
- If the answer is YES, please do this: Students can pay the $20 course fee during class (cash) or on the school’s webstore (credit card): https://webstores.activenetwork.com/school-software/mannion_middle_schoo/index.php?l=product_list&c=bestsellers
SITUATION: Do you want to support Mannion Middle School’s fundraiser?
- If the answer is NO, please do this: We understand – no worries!
- If the answer is YES, please do this: Visit this site: https://form.jotform.com/211724931869060. Please use the password “Mustangs” and the deadline is August 27, 2021
Thank you for your patience during the first week of school. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have additional questions or concerns.
Todd C. Petersen, Principal