Mannion Middle School encourages its students to “dress for respect.” Personal appearance should not disrupt or detract from the educational environment of the school. The school administration has the right to designate which types of dress or appearance are not acceptable.
The Mannion Middle School and Clark County School District Dress Code Policy (Regulation 5131):
- Students are required to wear shoes with soles.
- House slippers and shoes with wheels are not permitted.
- All clothing must be sufficient to conceal any and all undergarments. No skin will show between the bottom of a shirt and the top of pants or skirts at any time.
- Prohibited tops include, but are not limited to, tank tops that have straps that are less than three inches in width, razorback tops, crop tops, strapless tops, low-cut clothing, clothing with slits, or new design tops and outfits that provide minimum coverage.
- Tank tops, such as a basketball jersey, that have straps that are more than three inches in width will be permitted as long as they are worn tightly so the chest area cannot be seen through the arm pockets. They must be worn snug around the under arm area.
- Shirts with spaghetti straps must have a garment covering them and must be worn at all times. See through shirts must have a camisole underneath them.
- All shorts, skirts, and dresses must be a minimum length above the top of the kneecap.
- Shorts: Must have a minimum 3 inch inseam.
- Skirts & Dresses: Must be a minimum of 3 inches above the kneecap unless shorts with a 3 inch inseam are worn under the skirt.
- Yoga pants & leggings may be worn if they are a dark color or have an appropriate print. White yoga pants and leggings, as well as translucent tights, will not be permitted unless a shirt or dress is worn over that goes to three inches above the kneecap.
- Pants/shorts may not sag nor may any pants be worn which allow underwear to show. Pants/shorts must be worn at the hip and be no more than one size larger than what the student would normally wear. Students should wear a belt to assist with this issue.
- Pants/shorts may not be torn or ripped six inches above the kneecap. Patches that cover such tears, or leggings worn underneath such tears, are allowed. Paper is not considered a patch.
- Pajamas are not permitted. Flannel pants are not considered pajamas.
Hats, Hoods & Accessories
- Headgear such as hats, caps, and scarves, and are not permitted in the hallways and Quad and must be secured in the student’s backpack or locker. These items may not be worn during passing periods. Exceptions may be made in extreme weather conditions or in celebration of special events.
- Hooded sweatshirts must be worn with the hood off while on campus.
- Bandanas may be worn as a fashion accessory (headband), but not as a hat. Any attempt to utilize a bandana to indicate group membership may result in a ban on bandanas (multiple students wearing the same bandana).
- Slogans or advertising on clothing that, by their controversial or obscene nature, disrupt the educational setting, are prohibited. This includes any clothing that advertises tobacco, alcoholic beverages, drugs, racial bigotry, sexual activities, profanity and other forms of inappropriate language, promotes hate.
- Clothing of a political nature must have a positive connotation.
- Any clothing, jewelry, buttons, and/or accessories that promote illegal or violent conduct or affiliation with groups that promote illegal or violent conduct such as, but not limited to, the unlawful use of weapons, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, drug paraphernalia, or gang membership, or clothing that contains threats, are prohibited.
- Spiked clothing, jewelry, and/or accessories are prohibited.
- Blankets may not be used in lieu of a coat or jacket.
- No trench coats are allowed.
- Gang related clothing of any sort is not allowed. As gang fashion can change, this list of concerns will fluctuate as the administration becomes aware of the changes as provided by the CCSD Gang Unit.
- Flags, other than the American flag, have no purpose at school and are not permitted. The American flag should be treated respectfully per the
- Flag Code of the American Legion.
- Costumes are not permitted unless it is part of a school designated event (Halloween Celebration).
- No sunglasses. If sunglasses are worn while walking to school, they must be put away before 8:00 a.m. until 2:11 p.m.